Monday, October 26, 2009

A Call to Action and an Inspiration

Please read (this is related to Palestine in so far as you can see the connection between all human suffering, especially at the hands of other humans). This was written by someone special to me:

During the last 10 days I've seen several things on the streets that make me step back and say "Wow!" I saw a carjacking or robbery about 40ft. from me and then people were yelling and running everywhere in a panic, one hour later someone shot off a gun very near to me and I was the only person who seemed to jump...and I jumped pretty high. There are always the drunks and the drug users and the fights and yelling and all the other things that seem to consume the streets, but last night I saw something that I've never seen before and quite frankly I wouldn't expect to see it in San Francisco. We came upon a person under a dark piece of plastic by the bus station and we asked as we always do, "Salvation Army are you hungry?" and the plastic started moving until a man’s face became clear to me. He said, “Yes, I'm very hungry and in his hands he was holding a dead pigeon that he had been trying to eat with the feathers and all. Let me just say that in my heart, this is not right and I am greatly disturbed to see somebody having to do this to survive. It almost made me sick.

I slept very little last night thinking about this and I want to share my thoughts about a few things with you. Some who read this might be board members, council member, officers, soldiers, employees or supporters. In some way we're all on the same team and in some way you're all working hard to make our city or state or world a better place and I thank you for all that you do. I believe that there has been no greater time in history than now for The Salvation Army. People are hungry, people are lost and people are sick and all of us are in some way part of the only Army in the world that can do something about the social ills that seem to be everywhere around us. I challenge you to hit the streets and reach out to those who are down and out, and to those who are up and out. The Salvation Army marches, they just don't sit in offices, The Salvation Army fights for those who can't fight for themselves and The Salvation Army does not retreat in the face of overwhelming odds. There are people everywhere that are counting on this Army...The Salvation Army. We'll march into war with bibles and food and love and compassion and we will not be stopped. Thank you all for your support, because I couldn't do what I do if you didn't do what you do. God bless.

No comments: