Sunday, June 7, 2009

Out of Palestine

I think about leaving a lot. Not just when I feel that life there is too hard or that I need a break, but I think about the act of leaving and the implications of that choice. The key word here is choice. Realistically, it's utterly un-sustainable for me to continue on in Palestine non stop. My family is not there to start. But emotionally, no one can say living under occupation is easy. It is not like I encounter the daily checkpoints on my way to work. I choose to cross them by choosing to go to Jerusalem. Still, occupation is like cancer, spreading its poison even if it remains unseen. Emotionally, you need a break. So, okay, I get it. I need this. It's very justifiable. But politically, you GET the break. Your race, your nationality, your privilege accesses that break while all your friends deal with occupation day in and out and do not GET the choice to leave or have a holiday. Again, I get it. I need to leave to be able to continue staying and contributing, but it's just hard to deal with the leaving or maybe with what you leave behind.

Last night I went on a walk with my dad. Since arriving here, I haven't seen one soldier, one gun, one checkpoint. Just saying that makes me want to cry. We just walked this amazingly beautiful path along stunning cliffs that hung over a gorgeous sea, on the horizon of which the sun set. I walked along that path and I thought of my best friend in Palestine. I thought of the absence next to me of someone with whom I would LOVE to share this walk. I thought of the absence of someone with whom I'd love to share this city, my family, this freedom. And then that got me thinking, what do I mean by freedom. I thought a lot about this word and my meaning, and I think I mean the absence of fear. I'm not sure that really communicates my meaning, but it's closer.

I have been crossing international borders since I was 8 years old. I've NEVER been afraid until the Israeli border interrogation that traumatized me for a solid month after I left. I've never felt that I had to be afraid of my identity and the reality of my life, or life itself. Fear. And it sticks. Fear is sticky. And the Israelis are first rate at creating fear, at destroying freedom and life itself. Denying humanity. And I'm bitter. Yes, I am very bitter. Sometimes I look around and think with a laugh, this has GOT to be something I imagined. This canNOT be reality. And yet it is, this reality that is so absurdly violent and inhumane that it seems it must be a game...only the stakes are death.

1 comment:

Bob from Hawaii said...

This is poignant, and sad, and important. Peace seeker, I'd like to propose that you provide some contextual details and flesh out this reflection into an op-ed for the SF Chronicle (is it still in print?), the LA Times, or another MSM venue. People beyond your blog need to gain some sense of your experience and the horrific facts of "life" for any Palestinian. I haven't thought about this in sufficient depth, but your use of "fear" as a constant in the OPT makes me wonder if "pressure" might be a good alternative...the pressure that comes with simply coping: worrying about the next checkpoint and the near-certain humiliation associated therewith; figuring out how to outwit (non-violent resistance!) the psychotic oppressor from the most mundane to the largest problem; agonizing for one's family members or friends in Zionist prisons; hoping without any reason for hope for a better life for one's kids; wondering when the next rain might fall and thus allow Mother Nature to provide relief, even for those few moments, from the Zionists' theft of and control over 80 percent of one's right to adequate and clean water....