Sunday, September 14, 2008

Taybeh Beer

Daily lesson in occupation policy:

Taybeh Beer is the only microbrewery in Palestine. Named after the village where it is produced, Taybeh is delicious and offered in golden, amber or dark brews. While it comes in a bottle, draft Taybeh is particularly enjoyable...though I don't know why that is exactly that it tastes so much better in the glass. There are only a handful of restaurants that offer Taybeh on tap, and they are all local restaurants (Ramallah).

A friend in Jerusalem owns a bar. I insisted he switch from Taybeh in the bottle to draft. He cocked his head to one side and said, "I cannot. What happens when I install the tap, and the delivery is held up at a checkpoint? I can't promise Taybeh to my customers because the brewery can't promise it to me. This is occupation.

And I said, that's so smart. The market inside and outside of the West Bank is so volatile, so inaccessible...and a business cannot survive without fulfilling promises. Separate the goods from the consumer, and the consumer won't buy. And so, my friend stocks Israeli beers on his shelves. They are guaranteed. Kills two birds as well: undermines the Palestinian economy and strengthens the Israeli. Man occupation is smart!

No comments: