Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Laughing at the Occupier

First off, anyone hear about the 4 Gaza students whose visas were revoked by the State Dept. after "new information was revealed"? I happen to have a little inside information...let's just say we can always blame security and it helps Israel not look so awful when the US takes the heat for revoking the visas.

Second, apparently Dr. Ilan Pappe (whose work I mentioned in a previous blog) is here and speaking in my city tomorrow. So, look for an entry later about that.

Finally, to the point. Anyone know of Maysoon Fayid? I know her from the If Americans Knew video "The Easiest Targets." Watch it here...

Anyway, I was sitting at home this evening, working away when a friend in NC sent me a message that Maysoon is doing a stand up comedy show tonight in Ramallah and I HAVE to go. I didn't want to, so I gave her a few excuses: "My Arabic isn't good enough" (It's in English too); "I'm tired" (It's an awesome opportunity); "It starts in 15 min." (Just GO!); "It's probably sold out" (GOOOOOOO!). She kept pushing until I felt totally peer pressured. So I went.

So Maysoon opens up saying "I'm an American, Palestinian virgin Muslim with cerebral palsy. If that doesn't make you feel good, I just don't know what to say!" What struck me most was that the theatre was full of every possible person. I saw old people in conservative dress, kids, young adults visiting from the States with American accents, foreigners...everybody. Her jokes are sometimes crude and she even drops the f-bomb, and yet the old man next to me laughed louder than anyone. Actually, there was a moment when even he stopped laughing. (This is my paraphrase, and surely not nearly as funny as Maysoon is!)

Maysoon: "I'd like to talk about our Palestinian leadership. But they are just not funny!" (Laughter)

"But you know, my problem is not with the Palestinians. I have a problem with the Israelis." (Silence)

"We know the Masad is listening, but they are laughing too. Don't worry; they are WITH US!" (Silence) "Laugh people!"

And I thought, it's phenomenal we can laugh at ourselves, but we aren't allowed to laugh at them. We're too scared.

But not always. You know Palestinians have a standard for checkpoints--ironically using the 4 star hotel ratings to measure how intense they are. There's a lot of humor and laughter here. It's a weapon for many that can't be confiscated like everything else. It was Maysoon's weapon, though we all refused to join her on that joke. Well, all but one too-loud, too-abrupt outburst. Woops.

No comments: